While genetics plays a major role in skin health, but do you know that having a healthy balanced diet is a great way to get beautiful healthy skin? The precept “You are what you eat” also applies to the skin. This means you need to be careful about your diet. Eating the right food can also help you look younger, fight acne and lessen the wrinkles. Many of the women suffer from acne problems at their young age. Aside from antibiotics and other treatments, your diet can help you prevent these skin problems.
What are the benefits of food over skin?
Most of the people wonder how such food can benefit the skin. The concept is if you are eating healthier foods, your skin will look better & glowing. Making certain diet changes can slow the aging process and give you a healthy & glowing complexion. If the foods you are consuming are not healthy, it will surely reflect on your skin. It is been proven in studies that eating a balanced diet is the most effective way to ensure that you will get your share of good food for healthy skin. As our skin is more exposed to infection and other problems nowadays due to pollution & sun radiations, the least thing we can do to protect our skin is having food that will help to make skin healthy & glowing.
Best food for healthy skin
The best food for skin is considered the one which has rich antioxidants in it. You don’t need to rely completely on the antioxidant-rich food, but it would be great to include a reasonable portion of such foods in your daily routine to improve the chances of getting & keeping healthy younger-looking skin.
Here are some of the best nutritious foods for healthy skin:
- Green Veggies: Vegetables are a proven remedy for health issues and it is effective for skin health as well. One of the best groups of foods is green vegetables. You can include spinach, broccoli, kale, lettuce, turnip greens, etc into your daily meals. Veggies like spinach, broccoli have dietary fiber, vitamins and other components which that keep skin problems away.
- Yogurt: It contains a large amount of vitamin A which is beneficial for your skin. By including yogurt into your daily diet, you will be consuming lots of vitamins & protein. The food keeps the skin glowing and removes excess sebum. It also helps in treating acne, reduces skin discoloration, and prevents premature aging. It contains good bacteria that also help in digestion and as we all know digestion & skin health is interlinked.
- Red Wine: The benefit of red wine is not only for the heart but also for the skin. Red wine is made up of red grapes which contain antioxidants and other natural substances and treat inflammatory skin conditions. This fruit also contains resveratrol, a substance that is commonly used in sunscreen lotions. The component kills cancerous cells, slows down the aging process and neutralizes free radicals.
- Olive Oil: It is one of the best sources of essential fatty acids. Good fats increase skin elasticity and strengthen cell membranes, which helps your skin look radiant & nourished. Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It can be applied directly on the skin and can be used as a moisturizing face mask as well. Also adding olive oils into your daily meals will improve the appearance of your skin.
- Strawberries: It contains vitamin C, phenolic compounds, flavonoids, and dietary fiber. They are also known to possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which helps to slink toxic free oxygen radicals and reduces acne, itching, etc. Your health will be boosted with the consumption of strawberries which will be automatically reflected on your skin.
- Fruits: The bright colored fruits like plum, bananas, orange, grapes, mango, tomatoes are actually good for the skin. Some of the fruit like oranges are citrus fruits that are rich in vitamin C, minerals, dietary fiber and other nutrients which make it the best food for skincare. Either consumed raw or in liquid form, it increases skin carotenoids which represent a good antioxidant level of the skin.
- Green Tea: Green tea prevents your skin from harmful UV radiation and negates the oxygen radicals. You will be protected from skin rashes, sunburn, and skin cancer with regular use of Green tea. You can have it in the morning, evening, pre or post the workout session to get healthy & glowing skin naturally.
- Coldwater fish: Most cold-water fish are high in omega fatty acids which is an essential nutrient for good skin health. Astaxanthin, which is present in this fish is commonly used in cosmetic products as it protects the skin from sun radiation and enhances the skin’s elasticity. Your aging process will automatically slow down with this.
The above-mentioned foods can give you healthy & glowing skin in a natural way. Whatever you decide to do to get the best of the above foods for healthy skin, remember to have fun while you are it!! The summary is that the secret of good skin lies within good health.